Did you know LCSC has a field school very similar to this one? It’s objectives are:
- To develop an understanding of Andean and Amazonian communities through the study and discussion of two ethnographies and travel in Ecuador.
- To give students study abroad and hands-on field research experience.
- To provide direct, experiential connections to the social and biological diversity of the Ecuadorian Andes and Amazon through guided field visits, service learning, and independent research.
- To explain the contributions of anthropology for identifying and solving practical, contemporary social issues by discussing and analyzing current topics using an anthropological approach.
- To apply critical thinking and analytic skills to representations of human culture within and outside the discipline of anthropology by reading course materials for assumptions and viewpoints with ethnocentric bias or other forms of bias.
- To write and present clear, concise, and organized essays and papers analyzing social science/anthropological issues.
Originally posted on The Greater Good:
Preparing Students for International Service Learning in Peru
[the what] This will be the third year that the Peru Service-learning and Spanish Immersion Program is running at Binghamton University. The Peru Program is a collaboration between Binghamton University’s Department of Public Administration in CCPA, Office of International Programs (OIP) and Center for Civic Engagement (CCE), along with one on-site language partner and three service partner organizations in Peru. The Peru Program is an international service-learning program organized around an academic course (titled “Local Development in the Andes”) which begins at Binghamton University prior to leaving the United States. The course, which I teach, provides an opportunity for students of diverse backgrounds and interests to learn about the dynamics of sustainable development with a focus on the Andean Region in Latin America. It situates local sustainable-development practice within its interconnection between environmental issues, economic viability, social equity and…
View original 1,143 more words